Day 2 of being trapped inside from the ice. I've gotta say, I'd much rather be trapped inside than braving 15 degree (3 with the windchill) weather. I hate the cold, so I am glad to be in my pajamas inside. However, cabin fever is setting in and I'm running out of things to do. You always think that if you had a few days to just sit and do nothing that your life would improve exponentially. This is not true. I don't think it's natural for anyone to be this lazy/unproductive. Yes, it was good to clean up my apartment, organize my closet, take care of business that I've been meaning to do for a month, and of course, catch up on DVR. But now that everything is caught up, this situation is very lackluster.
It has made me realize something very serious...our dependence on technology. The rolling blackouts that they're doing to conserve energy leave you with no electronics whatsoever. My life is dependent on technology. I have lots of books here that I could read, yet I still would rather check facebook, email, twitter, people.com, repeat cycle. Makes me realize why kids are bored so easily. Once they've used a piece of technology a couple of times, they are over it. There are so many changing components to our society, due to our technological abundance that our focus on one thing doesn't have to be long. This may be why nobody can focus anymore; everyone seems to have some sort of attention issue because we are constantly changing states and attracted to new stimuli. It's hard to remember a time when life wasn't like this, but it wasn't so long ago. I remember getting on AOL in 7th grade and thinking 'Wow!' but still didn't know what to do with the internet other than instant messaging.
I'm hoping we will go back to work tomorrow so I can get some instructional days in this week. We are quickly approaching TAKS and we've got to get some math going! It will definitely be a short week that's for sure. Hopefully some of the ice will clear up so that we can get in to work. Though with highs in the 20s, I'm not sure how realistic that is. Certainly a crazy week!
Until then, I guess I will just relish in hanging out in fleece pants and a sweatshirt all day, watching TV shows that I used to watch to pass the time in college. How I was so unproductive everyday in college, I will never know.
No comments:
Post a Comment