Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What happened to summer?

So, I suddenly find myself standing at the end of summer break wondering, "What have I been doing the past 2 months?!" The answer is: nothing! Which has actually been great. It's been so nice to really get to relax and enjoy some time to do exactly what I want to do. I'm sure there's going to be an element of 'shell-shock' when the year is up-and-running. BUT, after getting into my classroom (finally!), setting things back up, AND seeing the long-awaited class list, I am excited to get a wonderful new group of kids to love.

With the beginning of the school year around the corner, so begins the annual 'first day of school nightmares.' This sounds extremely loser-ish, and trust me, feels even more loser-ish when you wake up from one in a complete panic. It's never anything serious...just your typical chaotic, overcrowded, pencil-less, out of control classroom scenario. This includes things like having nothing to do, or having all of the desks pushed into the middle of the room so that the kids sit on top of them (can you say lawsuit?). I didn't think I was feeling stressed, but I can definitely tell my teeth are taking a hit from all the subconscious clenching I do during the day time. As the dentist told me last month, I really need to "find a productive way to unwind. Have you ever tried yoga?" Yes. Yes, I have. And for the record, telling me to wind down makes me more wound up. Reverse psychology is real. You never know where you'll find semi-free therapy, huh?

Soon, the nightmares will end, I'll get all my stuff done, and the first day will be here. But, not yet. Until then you can find me working (or attempting to) in my classroom, in my bed enjoying bad tv/napping, or soaking up enough sun to maintain a tan until Spring Break!

No comments:

Post a Comment